Yoga and Fitness in the Outdoors! With a yoga mat in tow, learn a bit about the history and ecology of upper Buttermilk Falls State Park in Ithaca, NY. Tune your breath into the trees, give yourself a good stretch and practice exercises for renewable energy as Astrid leads you on a walk through this hidden gem of land. This is a fantastic way to explore an iconic area of the Finger Lakes while achieving a bit of physical and mental fitness. The hike is moderate, on designated trails, mostly flat but with a few flights of stairs, including the 108 Steps to Enlightenment. The yoga will be catered to the experience level of those in the group, from absolute beginners to the more advanced.
This is a great hike for fitness oriented families, groups of friends or as a team building exercise for co-workers!
Your Yoga Eco-Hike will include the following:
- With our yoga mats strapped to our backs (or in backpacks), we'll observe the plants and animals that we see and learn a bit about the local history and ecology of the land. If we're lucky we'll see a beaver or a water snake!
- We'll spread our mats on the grass next to the creek and practice some yoga postures. The postures will be adapted to the experience level of those in the group. You can expect a few sun salutations, tree poses, windmill warriors and other asanas (postures) that remind us of our connection to the natural world.
- We'll spend a portion of the hike in a silent walking meditation paying special attention to our ecological footprints.
- We'll have a chance to run (or walk slowly) up the 108 Steps to Enlightenment.
- We'll find a perfect dyanaspada (meditation spot) to sit for while and breathe in the breath of the trees and feel ourselves connected to the roots of the earth. Some call this Forest Bathing.
Group size is limited to 12 people. A minimum number of 4 will also be necessary for a hike to take place.
Age and fitness considerations: We imagine that people between the approximate ages of 7-70 and in relatively good fitness condition will be most suited to participate in and enjoy our Yoga Eco-Hike. Please take into consideration your own needs as well as those of the group when booking.
The meeting spot is at Firelight Camps located behind the La Tourelle Hotel on Route 96 (about 1 mile past Ithaca College) in Ithaca, NY.
Address: 1150 Danby Road, Ithaca, New York 14850 (Google Maps).
If you are planning a visit to Ithaca, we highly suggest you consider staying at Ithaca's infamous glampground called Firelight Camps! It will offer you the perfect opportunity to spend the night in an 'elevated tent' (with a real bed and hot showers!), enjoy a fabulous, mostly locally sourced breakfast buffet and then join us for the Yoga Eco-Hike.
- Bring a yoga mat if you have one and something to carry it with or in. Yoga mats, with carrying straps, will be available to rent at $2/mat.
- We suggest bringing a small backpack for water, any snacks, sun screen, bug spray, etc. Also, one convenient way to carry the yoga mat is to tuck it behind your back in the straps of the backpack.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes appropriate for the weather but also easy to move in.
- Bring a water bottle.
- Consider wearing clothes that protect you against ticks. Ticks are not common on this trail but are found in this region. Wearing light colored clothing and long pants that can tuck into your socks is preventative.
COST: $55 per adult, $35 per child
Do you live in Ithaca or take regular yoga classes in Ithaca? If so, please email Astrid for special yoga eco-hike rates.
Questions? If you have questions and/or would like to request a yoga hike please email Astrid at email@example.com