Glampfire Yoga and Hiking Retreat
October 19-21st, 2018
Treat yourself to a one of a kind glamping experience during the spectacular fall foliage and delectable harvest season in the heart of the Finger Lakes region of New York State! Take some time to relax and unwind, to practice some rejuvenating yoga and go for hikes that will tune you in to your natural surroundings. Sample some of Ithaca's finest foods and beverages. You'll get to go on a special hike in one of the Finger Lake's iconic state parks, combining your walk with yoga stretches, breathing exercises and mindfulness techniques, as well as some interpretation about the local ecology, that will leave you feeling peaceful and relaxed. A morning jog may also be an option. Here's your chance to take a much needed break, to meet some new friends, and simply take some time for yourself to restore your energy in an incredibly special setting.
LODGING: Firelight Camps is a unique 'elevated camping' experience where the campfire is lit every morning and evening. You'll stay in safari-style tents (canvas walls on wooden platforms) with luxuriously comfortable beds and scenic porches looking out into the forest of the famous Buttermilk Falls State Park. The Camp is situated behind the famous La Tourelle Resort & Spa on a secluded piece of land, just a short drive to the town of Ithaca. Tents can accommodate 1-4 people with either one King sized bed (with an optional additional cot) or two Queen sized beds. Some of the tents can be heated. When you reserve your spot on the retreat, you'll indicate which style tent you prefer and whether or not you are traveling with a roommate, or looking to share a tent with a new friend. There is a separate bathhouse with warm showers, plush towels and hair dryers.
Join the Facebook Event to get updates and see lots of additional photos!
THE YOGA: Yoga will be led by Astrid Jirka, owner of Vahana Yoga & Eco-Tours and a 500 hour RYT Hatha, Vinyasa and Restorative Yoga Instructor and Ahmed Soliman, a 200 Hour ERYT in the Vinyasa tradition with an emphasis on alignment and meditation who teaches in Brooklyn, NY. That's a picture of the two of us above :) Yoga will be accessible to all levels, from those who are just getting started to more advanced yogis. We will focus on yoga that connects us to the natural world, that connects us to our roots, and that promotes rejuvenation, relaxation and good health. And for those feeling the need for a more vigorous practice, we'll be sure to give you some options! Please bring your own mats, though we'll have some on hand if you need one for a small fee.
THE HIKING: Hikes will be led by Astrid Jirka who grew up wandering around the forests and gorges of Ithaca, observing the beavers in the swamps and the changing of the seasons. In addition to being a yoga instructor, she's also been an eco-tour guide on the island of St. John, has taught courses on eco-tourism at Ithaca College and is passionate about preserving the unique landscape and ecology of the Finger Lakes. Hikes are moderate in terms of difficulty level with natural paths wandering through the forest and quite a few stairs to warm you from the inside out. There will also be options for a morning jog.
PRIVATE YOGA SESSIONS will also be available for an additional cost of $85/hour.
DINING: All meals are included in the retreat costs and will focus on locally sourced, organic and vegetarian options provided for you by local chefs. Vegan and gluten free options will also be available.
THE SCHEDULE for this retreat will consist of:
- Arrival on a Friday afternoon (check in is at 3pm) followed by yoga sessions and then a communal and delectable dinner and relaxed evening by the campfire.
- The next two mornings you'll be greeted by freshly brewed coffee and tea options, as well as Firelight Camp's magnificent breakfast buffet of locally sourced treats with options for all dietary needs.
- Saturday morning will consist of a 3 hour long Yoga Eco-Hike through upper Buttermilk Falls State Park. Conveniently, the moderate level trail can be accessed directly from the glampground. We'll stop near the woodland creek where those who wish can practice some yoga poses with the sounds of Treman Waterfall as our background. We'll also do some silent walking meditation and learn about the ecology of the land, giving us a chance to connect deeply with our natural roots.
- Upon our return to camp we'll enjoy a picnic lunch and then some free time to: enjoy the solitude of the tents, receive a private yoga session, have a spa treatment at neighboring August Moon Spa, take a short drive to one of Ithaca's iconic waterfalls or to the downtown shopping area of the Ithaca Commons or to simply unwind and relax in any way that feels best to you taking advantage of the amazing tents! (NOTE: If you're interested in a Spa treatment, be sure to book ahead.)
- In the late afternoon there will be optional yoga sessions and the evening will offer another chance to taste the bounty of the Finger Lakes, as a local chef will prepare and cater an exclusive meal just for us. Using locally sourced ingredients you'll delight in a dinner that will be a feast for all your senses.
- Sunday morning there will be an optional one-hour long yoga session or a vigorous one-hour hike (or you could jog) around the the nearby Treman Lake. Check out which will be at 11am. We encourage you to continue to explore Ithaca and the Finger Lakes after your retreat if you have time - and even to prolong your stay at Firelight Camps as we're pretty sure you won't want to leave!
TRANSPORTATION: Firelight Camps is best reached by car, though buses can be taken to downtown Ithaca and taxis can take you the rest of the way to camp. Flying to Ithaca is also an option, or taking the train to Syracuse. If you are coming from NYC, we highly recommend you take Route 17. It will take a little bit longer but the country drive will be worth the views!
COSTS: Cost will cover 2 nights of accommodations, 4 yoga sessions, 1 guided hike, 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, and 2 dinners. Costs will vary based on your choice of tent and # of roommates as per below.
LIMITED SPACE AVAILABLE! Maximum # of retreat participants will be 30.
TENT OPTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS ...
* Early bird deadline is August 19th
* A limited # of tents can be heated. You can request this option when you register, but there are no guarantees. First come, first serve. An additional charge of $100 per tent will be added for tents with heat capability. HEATED TENTS ARE SOLD OUT.
Single King Tent options:
1 King Bed for 1 guest
Early bird: $950
Late bird: $990
1 King Bed, 2 guests
Early bird:$710 pp
Late bird: $750 pp
1 King + 1 Cot = 3 guests
Early bird: $640 pp
Late bird: $690 pp
Double Queen Tent Options:
* ONLY ONE DOUBLE QUEEN LEFT (as of 8/14/18)
2 Queen Beds for 1 guest
Early bird: $950
Late bird: $990
Double the Fun: Fox Den
2 Queen Beds for 2 guests
* Select this option if you are a single person looking for a tent-mate. You will be contacted about your tent-mate options as they become available.
Early bird: $710 pp
Late bird: $750 pp
Triple Fox Den
2 Queen Beds (and a possible cot) for 3 guests
Early bird: $640 pp
Late bird: $690 pp
Quadruple the Fun Fox Den
2 Queen Beds for 4 guests
Early bird: $590 pp
Late bird: $650 pp
Room Selection and Meals
A variety of tent styles are available to accommodate varying preferences and to provide an array of pricing options and sleeping arrangements. Please review the options carefully to ensure you select the option that best suits your needs. Solo travelers wishing to share a room will be paired with another traveler in a Double the Fun tent. Final tent designations will be made close to the retreat start date and based on the needs of the group. We will do our best to accommodate everyone according to their wishes and will notify you if alternate arrangements need to be made.
Vahana Yoga & Eco-Tours will provide meals during the retreat taking into account special dietary needs which have been disclosed. Meals will be primarily vegetarian. It is the responsibility of each guest to inform Vahana of any allergies or dietary restrictions and to discuss these needs before the retreat begins to ensure they can be met. If needs can not be met, you will be informed and we will do our best to assist you.
Payment and Cancellation Policy
A non-refundable deposit of $250 must be made via credit card in order to reserve your space. You will be invoiced for the balance of your costs based on your tent selection. Final balance is due by October 1st, 2018. If the final payment is not received by this date, Astrid Jirka/Vahana Yoga & Eco-Tours reserves the right to cancel your reservation and withhold the non-refundable deposit. Final payment can be made via check or credit card. If you wish to pay by credit card, an additional 4% processing fee will be added to your total.
Should you need to cancel your trip before October 1st, 2018, your nonrefundable deposit will be withheld, and any additional payment(s) that were made to Vahana Yoga & Eco-Tours will be refunded. Should you need to cancel your trip after this date, 100% of the remaining payments will be withheld.
Trip Changes and Cancellation Policy
Vahana Yoga & Eco-Tours reserves the right cancel or to make changes to any and all aspects of this Retreat (which may include changes to the types and/or timing of activities during the Retreat, items and/or services included with the Retreat, and/or the itinerary) if it is deemed necessary to do so due to conditions that may be hazardous, dangerous, or otherwise adverse or threatening, or if an act or omission of a third party prevents any such aspects of the Retreat or any portion of the Retreat from occurring, or for any other reason considered commercially necessary. Should cancellation be necessary due to any such unforseen circumstances, 50% of registration payments will be reimbursed to retreat participants as soon as possible.
Vahana Yoga & Eco-Tours reserves the right to cancel the retreat prior to the start date if the minimum number of participants is not met. 100% of registration payments will be reimbursed to retreat participants if this should occur. Additional travel expenses incurred by participants will not be reimbursed.
It is highly recommended that you consider purchasing travel insurance to compensate you if you run into any travel problems such as lost luggage, weather delays, personal emergencies or other unforseen circumstances.
WAIVER AND LIABILITY RELEASE STATEMENT
In consideration of participating in this Yoga Retreat, I agree to assume full responsibility for any risks, injuries, losses or damages, known or unknown, which I might incur as a result of participating in the retreat, including any and all activities done with the retreat group, or as an individual during the trip.
I acknowledge that I will be participating in activities during which I will receive information and instruction about yoga, fitness and health and that yoga requires physical exertion that may be strenuous and may cause physical injury, and I am fully aware of the risks and hazards involved.
I understand that it is my responsibility to consult with a physician prior to and regarding my participation in the Yoga Retreat. I represent and warrant that I am physically fit and I have no medical conditions that would prevent my full participation in the Yoga Retreat. I acknowledge that I will inform Astrid Jirka, in writing, of any medical conditions I have which are of concern to me, before the retreat start date.
I knowingly, voluntarily and expressly waive any claim I may have against Vahana Yoga & Eco-Tours or its staff for injury or damages that I may sustain as a result of participating in the retreat. I, my heirs and legal representatives forever release, waive, discharge and covenant not to sue Vahana Yoga & Eco-Tours or its staff for any injury or death caused by their negligence or other acts.
I give permission to Astrid Jirka and Vahana Yoga & Eco-Tours to use photographs or videos taken during this trip for promotional purposes.
By registering for this retreat, I understand that my registration acts as my signature and thereby acknowledge and agree to all of the policies noted above.
Thank you for reading through these details.